Boost Candidacy for Dental Implants with Sinus Lift Surgery
Some patients who seek the life-changing benefits of dental implants at our Elkhart, IN, dental practice lack sufficient jawbone mass to support implants, particularly in the upper jaw. To improve your candidacy for implant surgery, Dr. Bruce Watkins can perform a sinus lift. This process adds bone tissue to the upper jaw to create more space between the soft tissues of the sinuses and the upper jaw.
For years, patients from Elkhart, Granger, and Mishawaka, IN, have trusted Watkins Family Dentistry to perform restorative treatments like sinus lift surgery and dental implant placement. Dr. Watkins is highly regarded in his field. He achieved Diplomat level training with the International Dental Implant Association — the highest distinction achievable in dental implant and bone grafting training
What Are the Benefits of a Sinus Lift?
Patients who undergo sinus lift surgery at our Elkhart dental practice can enjoy multiple oral health benefits, including:
- Restored jawbone strength: Factors like gum disease, tooth loss, and aging can contribute to a weakened and even atrophied jawbone. Such issues can make the thin barrier between the sinuses and the upper jaw even weaker. A successful sinus lift surgery can restore jawbone density.
- Improved candidacy for dental implants: Because dental implants function as artificial tooth roots, they require a reliable base of bone for support. Many patients whose jawbones are too thin or atrophied cannot qualify for implant placement. However, sinus lift surgery can restore a patient’s candidacy for this unique restorative treatment.
- Safe procedure: While a sinus lift sounds invasive, the procedure is safely performed thousands of times each year in the United States. Under the careful care of Dr. Watkins, you will have a very low risk for complications following this straightforward procedure.
Are You a Candidate?
The majority of patients who seek the restorative benefits of sinus lift surgery are candidates for the treatment. Dr. Watkins will conduct a thorough exam of your teeth and jaws. Your medical history will also be reviewed to ensure that the procedure is appropriate and safe for you.
Known risk factors for sinus lift surgery include:
- Tobacco use
- Certain medications like anticoagulants
- Certain medical conditions
- Gum disease
Candidates should be in good oral and overall health. Ideal candidates understand the low but potential involved in undergoing surgery. After undergoing surgery, patients should be willing to follow Dr. Watkins’ recovery guidelines closely while maintaining good oral hygiene habits and a healthy diet.
Sinus lift surgery is a safe, effective, and straightforward restorative treatment that can allow you to gain candidacy for the life-changing benefits of dental implants.
A Look at the Procedure
Sinus lift surgery is performed using local anesthesia. Our office offers two effective forms of sedation to help patients feel more relaxed during the procedure: nitrous oxide and oral sedation. Once you are comfortable, your oral surgeon will make an incision in the gums to access the upper jawbone. Donor tissue or grafting material will be used to elevate the floor of your sinus while reinforcing your upper jawbone. Once the donor tissue or grafting material is placed, the incisions will be sutured closed.
Patients should rest for a day or two after surgery. Dr. Watkins will provide recovery guidelines that should be closely followed. After three to six months, most patients have healed to the point where dental implant surgery can be planned.
Gain Candidacy for Dental Implants
Sinus lift surgery is a safe, effective, and straightforward restorative treatment that can allow you to gain candidacy for the life-changing benefits of dental implants. If you have concerns over the affordability of this or any of our treatments, our office accepts CareCredit® and LendingClub financing options to help patients afford treatment. To schedule your sinus lift consultation, please contact our office online or call (574) 293-9832.