Dental Implants Restore Your Smile's Foundation
The word “implant” means to place something into another object or place. A dental implant is a dental treatment that, in effect, creates a new tooth by inserting a metal post (normally titanium) into the jawbone tissue and then attaching a “tooth” to that post. In addition to supporting a single tooth, implants can firmly support dental bridges and stabilize dentures. For additional convenience, we offer All-on-6 implants to reduce both recovery time and cost. You can learn more about whether dental implants are right for you in person at Dr. Bruce Watkins' Elkhart, IN, office. At this time, he can explain what dental implant surgery involves and answer any questions you may have, such as the cost of dental implants.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Simply put, the main benefit is that an implant looks and acts like a natural tooth. This makes for tremendous convenience-no dentures to remove or messy adhesives to deal with. They are also great for the daily functions, such as eating and speech. Dentures are prone to slipping within the mouth, implants are fixed to the jaw and one can speak without fear or worry that they might shift.
- Appearance. They look and feel like real teeth. At Watkins Family Dentistry, we work to match the color of your implant to your existing teeth. Patients generally feel a much higher sense of self-esteem with the natural appearance and functionality of implants over removable dentures.
- Confidence. Anyone that has worn dentures is familiar with the fact that they can slip or fall out. This often causes embarrassment and difficulty in speaking clearly and with confidence. That fear is gone with implants, or a bridge secured by implants, and you can kiss the fear of “slippage” goodbye.
- Greater comfort and a natural bite. Implants have a natural feel as they are secured directly to the bone and so won’t move about like dentures tend to do. In fact, chances are that once installed you will never notice any difference between an implant and your natural teeth. As implants attach to the jawbone, just like your own teeth, you can eat food naturally, easily and without pain.
- Better oral health and hygiene. Removable dentures and bridges often require cutting down surrounding teeth to provide support and allow placement. Implants leave much, if not all, of the surrounding teeth intact and in place. The result is a stronger mouth and an improved environment for better oral health with better access for easier flossing between teeth.
- Long Lasting and Convenient.With proper and normal care, implants can last for years or even a lifetime. Unlike dentures, which are removable and messy, implants respond just like natural teeth and demand only the normal care and cleaning that your natural teeth require.
How Successful Are Dental Implants?
Implants have a very high success rate. Factors such as general state of health, bone density and the location of the implant in the jaw all matter but in general implants have a success rate of up to 98% and will last a lifetime.
Can Anyone Get Dental Implants?
Implants can be used for a single missing tooth or comprehensive full mouth reconstruction. Your level of health is a factor, but if one can undergo a routine dental extraction, is not suffering from severe gum disease and has adequate bone density then dental implants are rarely a problem. Some physical factors such as: long, heavy histories of smoking, chronic disorders such as diabetes or heart disease or patients that have undergone radiation therapy to the head/neck area will need to be evaluated on an individual basis. However, in 9 out of 10 cases there is never a problem. Some patients may be better candidates for mini dental implants than traditional implants. It is our firm policy that we will never recommend implants if we feel that they may not be right for you.
Does Insurance Cover the Cost of Dental Implants?
Every plan varies, but generally dental implants are not always covered, or covered only in part, by dental insurance. In any case, we are very familiar with insurance policies and coverage. Please give us a call and we will be glad to help you determine your coverage.
Determine if Dental Implants are Right for You
Contact Watkins Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Watkins. He will evaluate your smile to determine if dental implants are the best option to restore your smile.